1. A friend is kind
No one wants to be friends with someone who isn't kind.
2. A friend is faithful
Do you stick with your friends, even when it's hard?
3. A friend makes you a better person
Do you make those around you better?
4. A friend is knit to your heart
Just like Jonathan and David, true friends know each other's hearts and feelings.
5. A friend can share friends
Jesus referred to Lazarus as "Our friend."
6. A friend expresses love
It isn't about saying "I love you", it's about living it.
7. A friend is willing to wound
Tough love is sometimes necessary to prevent them from getting hurt.
8. A friend strengthens others in God
Do you point others to God, or pull them away from Him?
9. A friend is willing to be second
Your relationship with God should always be first, and a friend should not prevent that.
10. A friend rejoices in blessings
Don't be jealous, be happy for them
11. A friend praises his friends
Don't seek to get glory for yourself. Praise your friends, and they will praise you.
12. A friend doesn't overstay his welcome
Too much of a good thing, no matter how good, is still too much.
13. A friend gives biblical counsel
You don't know everything. Use the best tool you have to help.
14. A friend is sensitive
Know what your friends are dealing with in their lives and act accordingly.
15. A friend sharpens
Influence those around you to stand up for what is right.
16. A friend helps through trials
Be there for your friends when they're going through a tough time.
Try to put these principles into practice in your friendships, they'll work wonders.
(Points are from "Just Friends" by Cary Schmidt and Mike Ray)