You know, the first thing people think when God tells them to wait is "But Waiting is TOO HARD!!" Well, in all honesty, yes it is. I don't know that God has ever asked anything harder of me, yet I wholeheartedly believe that outcome will be well worth it. No body ever wants to wait for anything anymore...I mean, think about it. If you microwave your food because its faster then cooking on the stove...does the microwaved food EVER taste better then what you cooked on the stove? NO! Or if you get tired of waiting for your clothes to dry so you take them out of the dryer before it buzzes, your going to have damp clothes instead of nice warm dry ones. Well, pretty much everything I can think of turns out better if you wait. Not only that, but if God says wait, why not just trust him and wait.
Here are some consequences we'll face if we don't obey and wait...
1) We miss God's lessons
- God gives us a season of waiting to teach us things, and if we skip past that season we will miss whatever lessons he had to teach us.
2) We miss God's best
- God has the right person already picked out for you, and if you rush things you may end up marrying the wrong person. God wants the very best for you, wait and let him give you that.
3) We miss God's help
- Think about Abraham and Sarah, God had promised them a son but because they took matters into their own hands and didn't want the made a huge mistake the caused a lifetime of trouble. You should want God's help more then you want your own way in these matters.
4) We miss God's opportunities
- You know, by waiting not waiting on God, we miss a great opportunity to be an example to the world. What a testimony to be able to wait and rely on God.
Okay, now that I gave you the bad side of waiting, I'll give you the good points too. :-)
I. You will not be ashamed. (Is.49:23)
II. The Lord will strengthen your heart. (Ps. 27:14)
III. You shall inherit the earth. (Ps. 37:9)
IV. You strength will be renewed. (Is. 40:31)
V. The Lord will be good to you. (Lam. 3:25)
Although waiting is hard, it is necessary. Waiting takes faith. Nobody wants to just sit around and wait, and Gods not asking you to just sit around and do nothing...its more that you need to rest in him and put your complete faith in him. If God's asking you to wait, then ask him to help you wait and give you something to do while you wait. Pour your life into a ministry, into your family, into studying more...whatever your feel God wants you to do, do it with faith! Why trade a lifetime of love for a dollar's worth of pleasure now? God has a plan for your life, don't trade that in for the devil's plan.
A few tips to help you wait...
-Exchange your dreams for something better...God's perfect plan. His plan is real, dreams aren't.
-Consider how awesome our God is, and trust that awesome power.
-Write down at least ten good things that have come while you wait.
-Rejoice in this time of waiting, God has you waiting for a reason so rejoice in Him for it.
-Don't focus in the waiting, focus on the Lord.
-Learn to lean on God for all your daily burdens and needs, it will help you have for trust and faith in him.
I have some verses for y'all to memorize this week...
"For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee." (Psalm 84:11-12)
*Some material is taken from "Before you meet Prince Charming" by Sarah Mally and "Just Friends" by Cary Schmidt and Mike Ray*